Confederation Marine Modellers
Nautical lore - SS Sudbury ocean-going salvage tug
HMCS Sudbury was ordered in February 1940, laid down by Kingston Shipbuilding Ltd. at Kingston in January 1941, launched in May and commissioned into the RCN in October 1941 at Montreal, Quebec. She was initially assigned to duties in the Western Atlantic where she served until January 1944 after which she was reassigned to the Pacific coast and immediately underwent a major overhaul. After workups in May 1944, she joined Esquimalt Force and remained with them until the end of the war.
HMCS Sudbury was paid off at Esquimalt 28 August 1945. She was sold for civilian use as a 892 GRT tugboat and entered civilian service in 1949. The ship retained her name. Sudbury underwent several ownership changes until she was acquired in 1954 by Island Tug and Barge of Victoria, British Columbia.